Sunday, March 12, 2006

I Hate Sundays

Alright, here's the deal. I fell asleep around 2 am, which is surprising considering I was only out on the town until 10, when Natalie and I headed back to the dorm. Oh, of course there was a reason to be up. There always is. This time it was Spider Solitaire and a long chat with a long-lost friend. I guess I was trying to avoid the fact that Sunday has to happen... As I was falling asleep, I had this incredible urge to take pictures of my toe. 'Cause, well, it's not going to be like this forever! But you're right, I should have done it last week when it still looked mean and angsty, like some 14 year old wanna-be emo punk.

Shall I tell you about my dream last night? Or this morning, I guess. I woke up at 8:30, went to the bathroom, checked a few websites, then decided it was too early to be up and went back to sleep. I dreamed that RJ and I were driving in his truck. We were coming to a stop on some backroads (near campus, I guess) and there was an assorted crowd of male Western students next to us. Some kids from Fairhaven, some football players, y'know, the whole shebang. Apparantly RJ flipped them off because he hit the gas and they started chasing us. One tall skinny kid threw his backpack into the truck to try and stop us, so RJ slowed down until they were almost on us, then put the pedal to the medal and took off. Ah, it was crazy! There was gravel spurting and yelling and fists being raised in anger. I loved it all. Naturally, I was woken up by Julia banging on the door.

(Still trying not to think about all that studying for the Spanish final tomorrow... 8 am... I haven't been up that early in weeks.)

Oh, right! Last night we went down to the Bay Street Coffee House. Natalie, Julia, and Annie wanted to see some guy they know from the Underground Coffee House, they backed him up one time with rubber band guitars. I went because, what else was I going to do on a Saturday night? Study? Nahhh. So we went, I got myself an iced latte, and we situated ourselves upstairs to hear this wonderful band whose name I don't even know. It was all screeching industrial noise, screaming in the background and the occasional hint of a melody. I thought of Vitaly Chernobyl and the Meltdowns, imagined myself in a concrete underpass and just let it happen. I loved it - Elaina would have, too.

One special thing about this coffee house. Upstairs, they have two bookcases full of dusty old classics. I could barely contain myself! If only Siggy were still in Bellingham, she and I would have made it a daily enterprise to go downtown, hit up Bay Street, drink some coffee and sit for hours thumbing through them. They had Lady Chatterly's Lover, One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Doctor Zhivago. I own the first, refuse to read the second again until I have a Spanish copy of it, and have been aching to read the third. So I palmed it. Hush, I know it's terrible to take things from a coffee house, especially one as hiptastic as this, but when Siggy moved away she took the Doctor with her.

Anyway, there was this other band that performed, some cool kids from Lynden in a decent band called Edson. The lead guitarist was this skinny, soulful type who claimed he'd never had a girlfriend. He was also the only one with a decent dose of creative talent - the rest of the strings did the typical repetition of a few easy chords that RJ has drilled into my head as being sub-par. I can't say anything about the drummer's talent - I had no complaints, but I'm no drum critic. He was good. But back to this guitarist! Aw, he was a sweetie. I found myself sitting on the balcony imagining him as this quiet bookish type with the occasional outburst of craziness (he'd have to have it, being in a band such as this.) I remembered Liz and her tendency to meet every local band member in Federal Way, and how she'd proceed to date every one of them. I wish I had her smarts on how to talk up strangers, but instead I was reduced to stalking. I went to the band website - and he is the quiet bookish type, and an English major no less! And at this point I realized, oops, stalking is Rule #1 in Things Not to Do When Attracted to Someone.

So I've admitted my problems - repented, if you will, and I'm on my way to becoming a better person.

Now I'm hungry, and I left my CD player running in the bathroom from when I took a shower an hour ago. Time to start the Sunday.

No comments: