Sunday, November 11, 2007

Failing Again

I've successfully given up on nearly every endeavor I've tried. Rowing lasted a whole 2 seasons. The tennis club lasted a day. Running this summer? I did 4 miles a day for a week, then decided that working part-time was enough of a commitment. I dropped out of the Culinary Arts class in high school. I didn't apply to any other college except Western because their application requirements were too strict - application essay? Forget that! Even last quarter, I failed a finance class because I decided that riding my bike was more important.

The most recent drop-out I've accomplished was my attempt at a detox diet.

The idea was that I'd stop eating wheat, gluten, dairy, meat, caffeine, sugar and alcohol for two weeks. Sounds crazy, right? Well, I have a Spanish essay due Tuesday, and I thought it would be fun to write about my experiences. Also, ever since the Peruvian parasite poop-fest, my body still hasn't quite been up to shape. I started last Sunday, and I was doing well. Trader Joe's has an amazing assortment of indian curries, and one bag of frozen stir fry veggies from Costco + gluten free soy sauce + rice can keep a girl stuffed for weeks. But oh. The roommates just had to go and stock up on bagels this same week. I've been smelling toasted bagels every morning, watching Nick and Chris lather on the cream cheese while I drink my soy milk and fruit smoothie, knocking bags of the delicious circular bread out of the freezer every time I go for the vegetables. It's been sheer torture.

So this morning I gave in. I ate a bagel, and it was delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I took another one with me to work. While there, a coworker and I unjammed the vending machine and looted over $2 in quarters. Naturally, I had to celebrate the windfall with some peanut M&M's. I knew I would regret it and here I am, 4 hours later, tallying up my history of wimping out.

I think I'm going to keep going with the diet, though. It's only another week. Today was a slump, but I'm more determined than ever to see it through.

Also, I made potato pancakes for dinner. They were heavenly.

Fortunately the roommates are in Canada tonight, because I also burned them and filled the entire apartment with a thick layer of smoke. Does anyone have tips on how to cook with oil without starting smoke signals?

No comments: