Thursday, March 17, 2005

the weakerthans - left and leaving

My city's still breathing (but barely it's true)
through buildings gone missing like teeth.
The sidewalks are watching me think about you,
all sparkled with broken glass.
I'm back with scars to show.
Back with the streets I know.
They never take me anywhere but here.
Those stains in the carpet, this drink in my hand,
these strangers whose faces I know.
We meet here for our dress-rehearsal to say I wanted it this way
and wait for the year to drown.
Spring forward, fall back down.
I'm trying not to wonder where you are.
All this time lingers, undefined.
Someone choose who's left and who's leaving.
Memory will rust and erode into lists of all that you gave me:
a blanket, some matches, this pain in my chest,
the best parts of Lonely, duct-tape and soldered wires,
new words for old desires,
and every birthday card I threw away.
I wait in 4/4 time.
Count yellow highway lines that you're relying on to lead you home.

whoaa, i am tired. working every day, plus school, plus the whole staying out late every night and only sleeping in the afternoon thing.. well, it hasn't really caught up with me where i'm going to crash, but i'm feeling it. and loving it.

today felt great, even though it's just a repeat of every other day. feeling empowered by my satisfied alone time, until i actually have to face other people and feel all anti-social about it. but! brent is coming home for spring break this week! i'm excited!

man, i just can't get over this. tommy thinks i dressed up. chanel says my hair looks elegant. even my mom thought i put a little extra effort in to look nice. the truth? i fell asleep after work with wet hair, then didn't want to get up and take a shower. so i slept in, threw on clothes from the bottom of the dirty laundry basket, and called it good. it's times like this when lines from ego tripping flow through my head.

No comments: