Monday, January 15, 2007

Best Damn Friend in the World

You could look at it one way. You could say I'm completely lazy and worthless and unmotivated. If you took that position, you could back it up. I've skipped three days of work, haven't done a lick of homework, spent the greater portion of every day flat on my back in bed reading a book, and only really came out of hiding long enough to make some sort of burrito or waffle food.

Then you could say that I am completely bad ass. Only you fellow book-readers out there would take this approach. Since picking up The Golden Compass last Monday, I've been completely and utterly hooked on the stories. Thursday night I came down with that nasty cold that followed swiftly on the heels of Wednesday's snow and ice fest. Despite the utter failure of my body, I dragged myself to Barnes and Noble and got the next two of His Dark Materials. And promptly swallowed them whole. Finished the Amber Spyglass last night, just in time to get hooked on this fantastic movie called Howl's Moving Castle. Ever heard of it? It's fantastic. It's also a book. So today, when I felt mobile and maybe just a little bit hale and hearty, I set out on another adventure. (You know, instead of doing that homework that's due at noon tomorrow.) Four bookstores, only the last and furthest one showing any results. Sly work avoidance, and utter enthusiasm, mixed with a healthy dose of still-sick impulsive determination had me curled under the covers and inhaling Howl's Moving Castle by 4 this afternoon. I finished it about 20 minutes ago.

Brent asked me on Friday night, while we were reading instead of gorging ourselves at a Vancouver sushi night, "Do you read fast?" I told him, not really, unless I'm completely hooked. Damn you young adult fantasy writers. You're too good for my defenses.

So now I go back to Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, which will take a properly long time for me to finish.

No comments: